Sunday, October 2, 2011

Golden Beet Slaw

I pulled what was left in my garden today.  It was a very sad garden this year, it was too cold when it was planted in May and then we got a lot of rain this summer with little heat.  I basically gave up on my garden so that meant little weeding and little over all attention was given.  Today we decided to pull the root veggies and see what we have or rather what we do not have.  So after all was said and done we had some golden beets, purple haze carrots, rainbow carrots and regular long carrots.  
I wanted to make something fresh with my beets that did not involve cooking so I decided to make a Beet Slaw.

 Start by cutting the beets and carrots in to match stick pieces.  I then decided to add an apple for a little sweet bite.  Next was onto the dressing.  I did not know were to go with this, so it was totally off the cuff.... 
2 tsp of dry mustard
1/3 cup white vinegar
Olive Oil to match
1 tsp of Smoked Paprika
 2 tsp of Maple Syrup for sweetness
dash of white sugar only cause I was trying to take the acid off the vinegar
1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
2 tsp of celery seed
I whisked this all together in a measuring cup and poured it over the chopped vegetables
It looks all to pretty with the glorious colors.  I ate it with a few pecans on top for more of an earth feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment