Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Pumpkin

I love Fall!!
And what does Fall bring.... Well it brings me into the kitchen to cook warm foods and anything with pumpkin. 

Pumpkin is such a great fruit.  Yup its a fruit it grows on a vine and it contains seeds. Pumpkin is such a humble fruit it so rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants.  There is so much to love about pumpkins, the color, the flavor and versatility.  Ok enough about how much I love pumpkins, cause if you are still reading you probably love them as well... 

I have tried a few different recipes with pumpkin this season that I really want to share with you. 

Pumpkin Granola:

5 cups of rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup of pecans
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup raisins
Stir together in a large bowl

1 cup of pure pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple sugar
2 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup homemade apple butter (if this is not an option for you unsweetened apple sauce)
mix all the wet ingredients together

Mix the wet and the dry ingredients together very well. 
Pour onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 325 for 20 mins stir and bake for another 20mins. 
Now there is a warning about this recipe and here it is:
YOU HOUSE WILL SMELL AMAZING WHEN YOU BAKE THIS!!!
I warned you so be prepared....

I have been eating this my little handfuls if I need a quick little snack.  But ultimately this is a great breakfast mixed with a little vanilla yogurt.  
Make sure you keep this in a sealed container to retain freshness.
Sorry I did not have a picture to go with this post.  I really need to take better pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment